Among the current The Young and the Restless cast members, longtime veteran actress Jeanne Cooper, who plays Katherine Chancellor, debuted on-screen in November 1973 and has been on contract since Autumn 1973. The other current senior cast members who joined the show in the 1970s are Doug Davidson (Paul Williams, 1978) and Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki Newman, 1979). Eric Braeden joined The Young and the Restless as Victor Newman in 1980 after becoming notable for his roles in The Rat Patrol and Colossus: The Forbin Project, as well as a variety of guest starring roles in numerous primetime TV shows during the 1970s.
- The theme song, "Nadia's Theme" is from the movie "Bless the Beasts and Children" (1971), where its original title is "Cotton's Dream".
- In 1976, ABC's Wide World of Sports used "Cotton's Dream", the theme song of The Young and the Restless, as a musical background for a montage of Olympic gymnast Nadia Comaneci in action at the 1976 Olympics. Although Nadia never actually performed to this tune, it became associated with her; eventually, the song's writer officially renamed it "Nadia's Theme".
- The show's original working title was The Innocent Years. In 1983 actor Veleka Gray portrayed two different characters simultaneously: Patti's psychiatrist Dr. Sharon Reaves, hotel manicurist Ruby. Unusually, the characters were neither lookalikes nor related, they were involved in different storylines and shared no scenes together.
- Christopher Douglas who played Sean Bridges was fired in July 2001, due to a reported power struggle between head writer Kay Alden and executive producer Edward Scott. His role was recast with David Lee Russek.
- First US soap opera and daytime program to be shown on HDTV.
- Jeanne Cooper who plays Katherine Chancellor is the only member of the cast who has been with the show since it first premiered in 1973 - although she didn't join in until 6 months after it premiered.
- When Jeanne Cooper (Katherine) decided to have a face lift, rather than going out on leave and replacing her with a stand in, the producers wrote a story line in which Katherine had a face lift, complete with hospitalization and recovery.
- One of the favorite plot devices is to send children away to boarding school or out of town to live with former characters only to have them return a short time later as teenagers. Among those involved in this type of plotting were Victoria Newman (age 10 returned a year later as an 18-year-old), Nick Newman, Billy Abbott, and Lily Winters.
- The china that we have seen Katherine Chancellor drinking out of for quite a number of years is a 'Royal Albert' pattern titled "Heirloom".