Australia has exported some of the worlds sexiest men, including Hugh Jackman, Simon Baker, Alex O'Loughlin, Chris Hemsworth, Sullivan Stapleton and daytime's own Daniel Goddard, who joined the cast of The Young and the Restless in January, 2007 as Cane Ashby.
Goddard left Australia in 1996, and spent two years working on archaeological digs in Mongolia, Tunisia, Liberia and Portugal. While passing through Los Angeles, he was cast as Dar in the internationally syndicated series BeastMaster, which was shot in Australia. In 2002, he returned to the U.S. to guest star on series such as Wild Card, Monk and Emily's Reasons Why Not. He also appeared in the films Dream Warrior, Lightspeed, Immortally Yours, The Perfect Sleep and Age of Kali.
Goddard has become a favorite on The Young and the Restless, especially since Cane's marriage to Lily (Christel Khalil) has been so loving. If you are one of his fans, here are 30 facts that you will want to know about Daniel Goddard:
1. Hometown: Sydney, Australia
2. Now Lives in L.A.: I love L.A. because it presents you with opportunity. If you have the tenacity, the drive, the ambition and the people skills, you can achieve anything.
3. Birthday: August 28
4. Nickname: Everyone in Australia had a nickname growing up except me. I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing. Nicknames can be derogatory or liberating and empowering, but I didn't get one.
5: High school: I was a geeky kid. I was pretty much in the chess club and the choir. I was good at school. I was good at sports, as well, but I have always been more on the geeky side than the jock side. I have a black belt in Tai Kwan Do, so I am good at sports, but it wasn't my get down as much as the academic side was.
6: Now: I am still a geek at heart. I think I am more well-rounded. I think I am a jack of all trades, master of none, which is good in many ways and bad in others because you never peak at one thing magnificently. You are just average at most.
7. What was your first acting break: I did the musical South Pacific. It had been touring the country and was at a 3,000-4,000-seat theater. I left acting school to do it, so it was the first acting job I got paid for.
8. Odd jobs: I was a cloakroom attendant, I was a hotel front desk receptionist, I packed supermarket shelves between midnight to 5 a.m., I dug holes for a landscaping company, and I did construction for a while.
9. What do you like about Cane: I like the fact that he is loyal. I like the fact that he is a man of his word. I like the fact that he is a family man.
10. Favorite Cane storyline: I enjoyed the "Out of the Ashes" storyline they did in 2007, where you got to see the physical dynamic side of Cane. That being said, I very much enjoyed the romance between Cane and Lily, which dealt with the age factor between him and her. People saw it as an obstacle, but neither Cane nor Lily did. I thought that was really real. I also enjoyed very much Tristan Rogers being brought into the show and Cane getting a father. You get to know a lot about a man by his father.
11. Favorite Book: Ayn Rand's Fountainhead.
12. Favorite Movie: I am a big fan of Apocalypse Now and Requiem for a Dream.
13. Favorite Primetime TV show: I don't watch primetime TV, but I marathoned Breaking Bad.
14. Favorite Actors: Gary Oldman, Sean Penn, Viggo Mortensen.
15. Favorite Song: The End by the Doors.
16. Favorite Sport: To watch, Formula One racing and mixed martial arts. To do, I like to go kart. I have done a little bit of motor racing and that is probably my favorite sport.
17. Favorite workout: I do a full-body, weight lifting workout, with a fair amount of heavy power lifting in it with a lot of cardio mixed in. I like to completely fatigue myself.
18. Hobby: I used to do construction. I like to build things. I find doing something where at the end you can look at it and say, "I completed that task and that is the fruit of my labor," enjoyable. Other than that, I like to do things with my family [wife Rachel, and sons Ford and Sebastian].
19. Favorite travel destination: Anywhere I haven't been before. I have traveled a lot. I have been to most states in this country. I would like to go to Africa. I went back to Monaco this year for the anniversary of Y&R. It was wonderful.
20. What Makes You Smile: Seeing my family happy.
21. Musical instruments: I played the piano for a while and then I stopped. I had a Chinese piano teacher as a child. She was one of the students of yelling makes a pupil play better. After a while, it broke me down a little bit.
22. Favorite article of clothing: Probably my Blundstone Boots. They are Australian. The company was formed sometime during the 1870s. They are my staple. I am a jeans and T-shirt kind of guy, but I always wear my Blundstones.
23. Pets: We have a Cockatiel. It is a girl but her name is Morris. We thought she was a boy when we got her but then she started laying eggs, but we kept the name Morris. She is 11 years old. We also have four goldfish. We had five but we lost one last week.
24. Pet Peeves: I am not a big fan of people who say one thing and do another. I am a say-what-you-mean-and-mean-what-you-say kind of guy. I don't have the interest or the desire to try and translate what people are trying to say. If you want to say it, say it. I am not easily offended. I find it very difficult to take things personally. If there is something that bugs you, say it. Don't hide it and smolder and be one way or another. Just get it out and clear the air. Once you've said it, forget it. Don't let it linger and fester.
25. Favorite Quote: Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. -- Andre Gide
26. First Car: I had a 1974 Toyota Corona. It was purple. My father said it was plum. My dad was in the used car business. He got it for me. It cost $400.
27. Favorite Gismo: I like practical things. I find there is a lot of tech stuff made that has a lot of bells and whistles that don't make sense. I am a big fan of folding knives. I like the mechanics and structure of a knife that can close and be compact and open and be strong, because there is a weak point in the middle of a knife and it is whether they can make it so it is strong. I am into design and structure.
28. Any tattoos: I can't think of anything I want. I am kind of obsessive/compulsive by nature and, if I got one, I would get more than one and, then, at what point do you stop? I am a believer in: If you aren't going to do something wholeheartedly, don't do it.
29. Favorite Food: I like Thai food. I like flavored food but it has to be very clean. If I could live on anything that would never make me fat, it would be fried chicken. But I am a big fan of clean, fresh food.
30. Favorite Charity: Ability First, formerly the Crippled Children Association.