1. Entertainment
Paulette Cohn

Daytime Shocker! Michael Muhney Fired from The Young and the Restless

By December 18, 2013

Michael MuhneyShocking news!  Michael Muhney, who plays Adam Newman, has been let go from The Young and the Restless.

The actor tweeted the following:

"I'm so sorry. It breaks my heart to say this, but I was just let go from Y&R. My last day on set is this Thursday.

My last air date will be Jan 30th. I'm going to take some private time with my wife & kids, as I am most concerned for their well-being...

I have 3 final episodes to film, and because they are my last, I will be giving it everything I have. More details will follow... #xoxoxo"

In an interview with the Huffington Post, following the news, Muhney said he sat down with[Executive Producer] Jill [Farren Phelps]: We had a private talk in her office. She's always been very kind to me. We have a good rapport. It was intimate ... the way it was handled. [Pauses] Part of me feels this is because I've always been outspoken, and sometimes I've been too outspoken. Sometimes I've walked around with a big backpack full of hubris. That is entirely on me. CBS, Sony, and Jill Phelps are not to blame for that. If I'm going to claim to be a grown man, I have to own that. But it could be financial or story. It was explained to me that CBS and Sony want to give Adam a break for 3-6 months and then they'll bring him back with a different actor. Maybe he does need a break. Adam has been on screen a lot. He's not being killed off."

I happen to be a big fan of Michael's work, and I will be sad to see him go. I have especially enjoyed his story since his break with his father, and his getting closer to Chelsea.  Let me know what you think in the poll below.

Photo courtesy: Monty Brinton

Comments

December 19, 2013 at 5:11 pm
(1) Gina says:

I am not watching anymore. An outstanding actor penalized for doing his job confidently, distinctively and with great fortitude.

December 23, 2013 at 8:54 pm
(2) Jeannie says:

This really sucks. Y&R Is my favorite show that have watched for years.
I can not believe they have let him go. Does not need to be replaced.
What is wrong with you people. Adam & Billy are wonderful. You need
to re think this.

December 23, 2013 at 9:13 pm
(3) Gloria says:

I really like Adam now and with Chelsea for sure. I was hoping that they would somehow have it be someone else that hit Delia. I don’t want him to be the one that did it. It has been so hard to watch. If they get another actor to play the part it won’t really matter, I’m going to hate anyone else playing the part. He is perfect for the part of Victor Newman’s son!

December 23, 2013 at 10:53 pm
(4) bernie says:

you fired the wrong person.it should have been fen.-noah and his silly girl friend.

December 24, 2013 at 7:47 am
(5) David says:

Billy? Kyle? Adam? is Jill Phelps singing “I am woman, hear me roar!”?

December 24, 2013 at 7:58 am
(6) E. Cobos says:

I am in TOTAL shock!!! Michael Muhney IS ADAM NEWMAN!!! What a thoughtless move that will have very serious consequences for the viewing audience of Young & The Restless!!!

He has cultivated and inhabited the character of Adam Newman — a new actor is a very poor decision!!

December 24, 2013 at 10:57 am
(7) Sheila says:

Ever since Jill Phelps took over, she has made a lot of colossal mistakes. The show is filled with newbies that no one cares about and to let these two veterans go is insane. Who hired her and who can let her go. She is the one who needs to be fired.

I don’t care what she did at GH, she doesn’t know Y&R at all. She’s even made Victor so mean and nasty, I can hardly stand to watch him anymore. He is so close to being nonredeemable.

So I guess it’s also the writers who can’t get a handle on this show and longtime viewers should be outraged.

To let Billy walk and to fire Michael, is just plain wrong. This longtime viewer will not stand for anymore recasts, I’m done!!

December 24, 2013 at 11:36 am
(8) stephanie says:

I agree with everything Gloria said.

December 24, 2013 at 11:44 am
(9) Sheila says:

December 24, 2013 at 9:21 pm
(10) Joyce says:

I don’t like this at all . If you have to let someone go why not Victor. He is the devil in disguise. Sure do like Adam.

December 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm
(11) Jb says:

Fire the new abby, Old abby was dynamic and fun. Fire dylan. So boring Losing such major actors as billy after jc and ms. And now michael. This soap is the titanic. Whose to blame the writers or the producer???

December 31, 2013 at 5:26 am
(12) Terry says:

I think its time to find a new show for the new year. Y&R is getting worse each day.I’ve been watching the show for yrs. I remember when I couldn’t wait for the next day to see it. Now if I miss a day or two I no longer care. I use to tape it when I knew I would miss it. Now I don’t bother. If I don’t get to see a show I don’t worry about it.

January 6, 2014 at 1:53 am
(13) Ann says:

Had not watched the show for yrs. Started watching after Steve Burton left GH.Fell in love with Adam’s character.Can not believe anyonelse can now play that role. He has set the bar too high. Did not remember Victor being so mean!! He is now a tyrrant and emotionall abusive even to Niki. The death of Delia was INCENCITIVE & UNNECESSARY! POOR LEADERSHIP. Viewers should stop watching for awhile and maybe bring MS>PHELPS to her senses. Get rid of the Laura, Michael,Fen storyline. IT SUCKS!!!

January 9, 2014 at 2:01 pm
(14) Brenda says:

I like Adam. He has had a hard life dealing with his family, that he really wants to be a part of. Everyone needs a place of belonging. I was really hoping Victor realized that after Adam took a bullet for him. Adam did not kill Delia, he was just trying not to hit the dog. He even stopped to make sure the dog was alright. He did not even realize that he had hit her. Please bring him back and show American that there is forgiveness in this world, and family’s Can be happy if they try hard enough like Adam has.

January 20, 2014 at 12:56 pm
(15) Sandy says:

I do not think Michael should be fired , after all he was hired to portray this kind of character. I love him, and I think he should be allowed to continue. It will not be the same without him. It does not make any sense to fire the character that has made CBS so much money!!!!
Think about it Jill Phelps.

January 26, 2014 at 4:19 pm
(16) Jackie Brown says:

Letting Billy go is very disappointing. He hasn’t done anything no other star on Y&R or any other show, that is helping to increase the ratings. They could have made him some kind of offer for the benefit of Y&R. The ratings! YES! The ratings!

January 26, 2014 at 4:42 pm
(17) Jackie Brown says:

We must address the facts of Michael Muhney’s case. Unwanted sexual touching is illegal and worse he did this on his job–place of business. No man or woman should be rewarded for those actions. Y&R can be held liable for damages, if no actions were taken, and if there are witnesses this could become a legal nightmare for everyone involved. So, when Muhney accepts responsibility for him actions, his fans should offer him support, but not bash the show. We will miss him, but he does need to find out what is going wrong with him.

February 5, 2014 at 1:10 pm
(18) Joan says:

Too many good people taken off Y&R . Abby,Kyle,now Billy and Adam, Phyllis – do not like new Billy and not sure I will watch.

February 13, 2014 at 1:59 pm
(19) Lette Jones says:

I`ve am done with Y&R. I am sick of all the time with ads. All the new people. I have watch for years & i will read a book .It will be more time then this TRASH that you have turn this show in to.

March 2, 2014 at 4:33 pm
(20) mary says:

bring BILLY ADAM &PHILLIS BACK OR I LIKE MANY MORE IS FINISHED WITH THE Y&R I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS SOAP SINCE THE 70 TEES I GUESS I WILL JUST FORGET AND LOOK UP ANOTHER SOAP WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE YOU MAKE ME BLOODY UPSET

March 22, 2014 at 9:08 pm
(21) Hazel says:

I have been a long time fan of the Young & The Restless and The Bold & The Beautiful, I am very disappointed that Adam has been fired. I think Adam and Chelsea could have made it if you saw fit to prove that Adam hitting Delhia was an accident and he was not aware. He did check and only saw the dog on the street and thought that he had swerved to avoid hitting the dog. He should not be held criminally responsible for her death. It was an accident. Bring Adam back. Chelsa and Adam & Connor could add a lot to the show.

Also disappointed that Phyllis is not coming back.
Billy and Victoria were doing so well until the Kelly incident.. I don’t like Kelly. And I prefer the first Billy better.