1. Entertainment
Paulette Cohn

Michelle Stafford Leaving 'The Young and the Restless'

By May 20, 2013

Michelle Stafford

After 16 years on The Young and the Restless, Michelle Stafford is exiting the daytime drama, it was reported today by E! News.

This isn't the first time that Stafford, who plays Phyllis Summers, has left The Young and the Restless. She departed the show in 1997, returning in 2000.

For her role, Stafford has received 10 Daytime Emmy nominations, including one fan nomination, winning the award for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series in 2004, and Outstanding Supporting Actress in 1997.

How shocking is this news to you? What was your favorite Phyllis storyline?

Photo courtesty: CBS/Robert Voets

Comments

May 20, 2013 at 9:07 pm
(1) jt says:

OMG, she can’t leave, who else can play Phyllis, NO ONE
Give her whatever she asked, The Y&R will NOT be the same w/o
Phyllis. We already loss one ICON Ms. Chancler.

June 3, 2013 at 8:59 pm
(2) JOYCE says:

i wonder why she’s leaving ? there’s so much story for her. and what about her daughter, Summer? she needs her mom. wish Michelle was not leaving. there’s gotta be a reason, but i see none..

July 4, 2013 at 10:55 am
(3) Lana says:

I do not want Michelle to leave. See can never be replaced and if you try it will fail. I see this as the beginning of the end for Y&R.

July 20, 2013 at 4:36 pm
(4) Wynell says:

You will never find another actress to play this role. Michelle Stafford is Phyllis Newman.

July 21, 2013 at 9:57 am
(5) loretta says:

everybody here & there are leaving the show sorry to say buy YOUNG& RESTLESS is becomming OLD & RECKLESS all the new young ones are boring SORRY

July 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm
(6) robin says:

PLEASE, Please don’t drag out this thing with Sharon. It’s getting sickning watching Kyle and Summer.

July 27, 2013 at 3:38 pm
(7) Dreena says:

Will she be re cast or is this the end they really cant get someone play phyliss but michelle stafford

July 30, 2013 at 11:21 pm
(8) Michelle says:

There are some people that can be recast but Michelle Stafford is not one of them. I understand that she is probably tired but they should just let it go. If they want to bring someone back they should bring back druscilla!!!!

August 1, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(9) Leslee says:

OMGosh, say it isn’t so!!! NOT Phyllis!!! No one could play Phyllis like Michelle Stafford!!! She is definitely “RED” as Jack would say. How is anyone going to find out about Sharon’s lies or help Sumer with her problems. I only follow a few of the story lines because of the countless changes (not always for the better), and Phyllis is one that I have always followed. I will miss this show once she’s gone. I will be too.

August 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm
(10) Linda says:

Please…please don’t leave the show…You’re one of my favorite actresses!!! Please rethink your decision…No one can play your part…like you can…NOBODY!!! We your fans …love you!!!

August 2, 2013 at 4:48 pm
(11) jana says:

Why can’t it be Sharon? She is just a whiny butt. Also, Cloe needs to fix her hair. It used to be so cute, just do something with it.

August 2, 2013 at 6:06 pm
(12) lucille johnson says:

No one will ever be able to replace phylis, bad for the show…….

August 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm
(13) Leah says:

I’m VERY glad she’s leaving the show! I’ve never liked her character and her acting is AWFUL. So … good riddance! Hopefully, whoever they bring in to fill the empty slot (if there IS an empty slot) will be a much better actor and less full of herself!

August 14, 2013 at 11:19 am
(14) Teresa says:

I agree with all the others. Michelle Stafford is the one and only to play this role of Phyllis. I was disappointed she did not die on screen. Is that because there is a possibility she may return. She will be greatly missed. Actually she is missed already.

August 15, 2013 at 10:17 pm
(15) Julie says:

I agree with all of the comments above. This lady played the best roll in the show, she should have never taken herself out of the game. I will miss her roll and all of the T-R-O-U-B-L-E that she caused..

Julie from Louisiana

August 18, 2013 at 3:18 pm
(16) beverly says:

Yes the show will not be the same. She was important part of young and the restless. Since Kathran is gone we have lost too many players. Sharan needs to gone not Phylis

September 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm
(17) anni says:

Well if she is leaving at least the coma is a way of keeping that re-enter door wide open. I liked her but it seemed that the show was all about her lately…the young and the Phyllis show. Hopefully she is just taking a break and will come back refreshed, and a character with a new lease on life. I do agree with the previous post that Drucilla should come back…she was another crazy troublemaker. She could turn up but have amnesia from the fall off the cliff…she could have a whole new life and maybe even a kid or two…her hubby could be someone really interesting…someone to add fresh blood to the rich and famous tedium!

September 6, 2013 at 11:10 pm
(18) Buttermilk says:

Whoever is writing on y&r needs to be fired, Who wants to see Paul and the bug get married? What poor writing. I heard that this took place last week. Drucilla and Phyllis had spunk, enough said. Not a juicy soap. RIP Mrs. C. Hard to believe at 40 yrs. It is now considered the worst soap. I do not watch!!

September 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm
(19) mandy ridgeway says:

Hard to believe that I have watched this show off and on since I was a teenager. My mother got me interested when I was in high school, she has been gone for many years and I guess I feel like she is still with me when I watch it. I will greatly miss Mrs. C…loved her and felt like I had lost a friend when she passed. I hope the actress playing phyllis will return because I can’t see someone else playing the part. Good luck in future shows…I am a great fan of the Young and the Restless!

September 16, 2013 at 5:55 pm
(20) Donna says:

I cannot understand why this show feels the need to get rid of all the veterans. Now Phyllis!! If she goes, I’m gone too!!! What use to be a show that I could not wait to watch, now it’s getting where I don’t care. Do what your fans want and bring these people back. It’s really very sad.

September 19, 2013 at 10:01 am
(21) cindi senn says:

I didn’t like Phyllis when she first arrived in geona city,but through the years I came to love her character very much.i really hate she is leaving.i wish her all the success in the world she is indeed a great actress an will be deeply missed.good luck michelle.

September 27, 2013 at 7:35 pm
(22) Debbie Johnson says:

Please don’t leave Michelle. We all love u and u are such a wonderful actress. Come on y and r. Don’t let this happen