1. Entertainment

Readers Interview Thom Bierdz (Phillip, Y&R), Part 1

By March 5, 2010

Thom BierdzLast week, I told you that Thom Bierdz (Phillip Chancellor III on The Young and the Restless) agreed to an unusual request - an interview comprised entirely of readers' questions, with nothing off limits.

You submitted about two dozen questions for the only openly gay actor playing a gay character on a soap opera, and we broke the interview into three parts: Thom's career on Y&R, his personal life and his other interests.

If you aren't already a fan of this sweet, smart, funny and drop-dead sexy actor, this interview will make you a believer. If you're already a fan, I promise you'll learn things you didn't already know. This guy is the real deal.

Check out part one of the interview, focusing on Y&R. Thom talks about how long Phillip will be around, whether his son Chance might also be gay, his relationship with Jeanne Cooper, and what it's like to come back to a job after 20 years.

Next week, I'll post part two (focusing on his personal life). Find out if Thom is single, what his idea of a perfect date is, which celebrities he has a crush on, and other intimate details. I can't resist giving you just a taste of what's in store in part two: Helen asked whether Thom wears boxers or briefs ... or something else, or nothing at all. Helen, I can report to you that Thom proudly wears no underwear at all. Check back next week for more!

Photo: Getty Images Entertainment

Comments

March 5, 2010 at 1:55 pm
(1) Elena says:

Great interview. How fun to get all the questions from readers!

I love what he said about the case welcoming him back, and the stuff about Jeanne Cooper was very touching. I think you’re right Allie, he seems like the real thing.

March 5, 2010 at 2:21 pm
(2) Genoa City 101 says:

SO HAPPY to hear that they’ve told him there’s more in store for Phillip. Def a lot more story to be told. His reconciliation with Chance was so touching. The Huck Finn book/that made me cry.

March 5, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(3) keith d says:

i think i’m in love

nothing is sexier than a hot man who goes commando

March 5, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(4) Madeline Higgins says:

This guy is H-O-T hot. Thx for a fun read, and I cant wait see Part II. ;)

March 5, 2010 at 5:36 pm
(5) Charlie's Mom says:

Omigod – Omigod – Omigod

I can’t believe he answered a question from me! How cool is that? Just sent the link to a bunch of my friends.

I agree that he sounds like a really great guy. Thank you for taking my question to him, Allie. What a hoot!

March 5, 2010 at 6:06 pm
(6) Mitchell/WeHo says:

Thom is a great, great guy and has long been visible and out in West Hollywood. He’s part of the community and just seems very comfortable in his own skin. Very little attitude or anything.

Little did I know, the times I’ve seen him, that he’s not wearing underwear! LOL — kidding. I agree with you; he IS the real deal. And he’s also a real fox.

March 5, 2010 at 6:45 pm
(7) Joan says:

Very poignant stuff about Kay. I always hoped she was a nice woman, and he sure makes that clear. Good for him for being back in the game and playing well.

March 5, 2010 at 11:38 pm
(8) theresa says:

Weird that he didn’t watch the show much while he was off. Seems like he would have. He sounds nice though

March 6, 2010 at 12:35 am
(9) vanessa says:

What a fun interview. I can’t wait for the next installment. Is he gonna talk about going commando?????? Allie, you are toooo much.

March 6, 2010 at 12:38 am
(10) Carla Johannson says:

What a class act! We think they should have brought him back much sooner!

March 6, 2010 at 12:41 am
(11) DeeDee says:

Thanks for giving me my moment in the sun and also shining well-deserved light on a truly beautiful man.

March 6, 2010 at 11:53 am
(12) Nicholas says:

He is the whole package. What a tease fpr next wk!!! I wonder who the celeb crushes are?

March 6, 2010 at 3:33 pm
(13) Tarzan's Jane says:

What was he doing for the 20 years in between? Sounds like maybe not a lot. A good lesson for soap stars to not take for granted what they already havem

PS: Oh, and yeah, he puts the sex in sexy. If he ever wants to try going straight, I’m first in line!

March 6, 2010 at 8:42 pm
(14) nickofsteele says:

hunkahunka burnin’ love

March 6, 2010 at 9:17 pm
(15) Sandy says:

I love what he says about Jeannie Cooper. She is the best of the best, and its great to know she’s so wonderful in real life too.

March 6, 2010 at 11:21 pm
(16) Ace says:

Why even ask if Chance could be gay? God — gay, gay, gay. Is that all anyone can see? The question is offensive but he handled it graciously. Wish he would have called you on it.

March 7, 2010 at 9:48 am
(17) Isabella says:

Sent the link to my YnR fan club! Great stuff! When can we see part two????

March 7, 2010 at 11:08 am
(18) ManhattanG says:

I have had the great pleasure of knowing Thom for the past year and proud to list him has one of my dearest friends. He truly is a class actt and never took acting for granted. In the past 20 years he has written his award winning memoir: FORGIVING TROY and has supported not only himself with his great artistic ability but also has raised over $100,000 for various chairities. Comando or not….to know him really is to love him! bill (nice job, Allie!)

March 7, 2010 at 11:44 am
(19) Kimberly says:

I’m beautiful and he’s beautiful. I’m a writer and he’s an author. He’s a stunner, and I’m no mutt.

So …. How about it Thom? Let’s make gaybies together?

March 7, 2010 at 6:31 pm
(20) Peggy Lofton says:

Such a thrill to see him answering everyone’s questions.

Bill, thanks also for giving us an inside look. It’s wonderful that Thom gives so much back — even more than what he’s given all of us over the years as Philip. We’re so glad he’s back where he belongs!

Thanks for making this happen, Allie!

– Peggy

March 7, 2010 at 7:56 pm
(21) Caroline says:

Hi! I just had to comment b/c I’m new to the site. My brother turned me on to it a week ago — he loves it!

I’ve known of Thom from watching Young/Restless over the years, but I certainly wouldn’t call myself a fan. I guess I’m in that category of people you mentioned, a newfound admirer having learned more about him. What a genuine and real guy. Thanks fior a great read, and a great site!

March 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm
(22) Marc says:

What a cute pic of him! He’s a total stud. Can’t wait to see the sexier side of the interview! (Don’t get me wrong, I liked hearing what he thinks about the show. But I’m dying to hear if he’s single and what his ideal date night would be like.)

And Bill … if you’re in touch with Thom, I’m a gay Latino in SoCal, 27 years old, 6’1, 175 lbs (gym 4-6 times a week), brown hair and eyes. God was good to me in every department, and I know how to use it.

March 8, 2010 at 8:56 pm
(23) DaytimeDiva says:

Cool guy. I like that he didn’t watch the show much when he wasn’t on any more. I wouldn’t have, either. It would be like hanging out at a job you lost or left (don’t know if he quit or got fired back then). He seems really at peace with where he is. We should all be so lucky!